Thursday, May 7, 2009

That's My Girl

This was the scene in my makeup box this morning--a poem on a scrap of paper, written in red ink by my girl.
Sigh. She'll be ten on Saturday, and I'm not usually the type to get misty-eyed over the passage of mommy time. I regard her steady growth as a triumph for both of us, and I have--sin of sins--even been known to look forward to the days when her father and I will be a duo of sorts again and she will be a woman, all this kinetic energy finally springing toward some adult purpose. I look forward to seeing her fall in love, find work, continue to stumble and grow, as I have. I know this child is a child of the world, and I have no real qualms with the notion that she will, swiftly and surely, give me up--at least to a large extent--for this wider, wilder love. And yet, and yet...

Let me only say that these ten years have stretched me, stunned me, made me a bigger, braver bird, one wing over my nestling and one itching to fly. Let me only say that I think we will, I hope we will, fly together someday. Happy Birthday, my monkey, my darling, my girl.

2 comments:

Elissa said...

i LOVE this post. LOVE it. you and i really are two peas in a pod, i think. as much as i love them at each stage, i also probably look forward more than i mourn what is lost. still,

10.

but if ten brings more of what you have shared with us (that poem, that PAINTING) and more of all that you haven't shared, well i say bring it on!

Happiest of Birthdays Annabelle! you're going to ROCK being 10 ;-)

skymring said...

so beautifully written..