Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It's a little like the end times around here--

--pouring rain for ten minutes and then glaringly bright, then sudden rain again. I went to pick up Annabelle at school, and we were so hot on the blacktop that we started shedding jackets and sweaters and rain boots, stuffing them in her back pack.
We started off, and about ten minutes down the road, this little hurricane-hailstorm deal kicked up, causing me to--get this--lose my grip on my umbrella so that it blew into the road, directly into the path of an oncoming ambulance.
The thing, in all its polka-dot glory, stopped traffic (not the ambulance, thank goodness) for a minute and then blew back to us (by this time soaked to our underpants). We made it to the Cumberland Farms, where we took shelter (and some salt and vinegar chips) until the weather turned a little less wrathful, and then we took off again. By the time we hit our block, yup--sunshine.

All this is to say, I did my very best to eek out a couple of not-too-tragic photos of the polar bear piece in a moment of relative light. They're still pretty terrible photographs, but how 'bout that polar bear? I kind of love him.

17 comments:

knititall said...

My almost three-year-old is totally in love with the polar bear and is telling me that I should make one for her. Super cute!

--Melissa G

Melissa Crowe said...

Well, you can't get truer feedback than from a three year old, right? Thanks, Melissa!

Alisa said...

I love this! It's beautiful!

Cassie@You Go Girl said...

I love this. You go girl!

Floral said...

what lovely details! Fantastic job! everything is great - including the polar bear.

Sew It Up! said...

Bummer about the rain. It's silly weather teasing you. The polar bear is a nice, whimsy touch. Very cute.

Mari said...

I love the polar bear! How creative the person must be who commissioned this portrait.

We've been having the same sort of weather down here in Boston. Torrents of rain blown about by scary gusts one moment, steamy sunshine the next. Weirdness. Makes figuring out what to wear very perplexing.

Elissa said...

oh, we had some kind of crazy weather here yesterday too. sun in out right now and my fingers are crossed because i need to get some photos of a project too!

i LOVE this hoop. i think the moon, although simple, is my favorite part somehow. and those lanterns, and her red boots and, well, it's just magic, girl!

Corinne said...

love it! Particularly those lanterns - so clever. Beautiful work once again!

AbcHobby.it said...

only one word: beautiful!!

hugs from italy
elisabetta

NanaBeast said...

BEE-OO-TIFUL! My favorite critter is the rabbit. The WHOLE piece is is wonderful.

Where do you get your wooden hoops? I live in a small town with a small Michaels and Walmart and am not finding the hoops I need for my finished work!

Melissa Crowe said...

NanaB--thank you! I get hoops at A.C. Moore and also at thrift stores and yard sales. The old ones are the best, actually--harder woods, smoother finish. You can order hoops on line, too.

NanaBeast said...

Thrift stores, of course! Duh. The change of season always makes me a little brain dead. I will check them out for miles around as yard sales are over for the time being. Thanks for the reminder!

Melissa Crowe said...

No problem--sometimes I find dozens and sometimes none, but it's worth a try!

Judy Hartman said...

Discovered your blog recently and absolutely love your felt applique! Even with bad lighting, this is wonderful!!
Hope you get sunny days soon!

Melissa Crowe said...

Thanks, Judy--and I'm glad you found me!

Sheau said...

Melissa,

I received the hoop. It is beautiful. I showed it to Eiya and she loves it. She wants to lick it and she keeps scratching it with her fingers to feel the texture. : )