Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Embroidereading Details (Contest, Contest, Contest!)

The Rules: Submit a photograph of your finished "embroideread" hoop--a 7"-10" hoop embroidered (by you and by hand) with a poem or a portion of a poem. (You can look here and here for examples that I've been working on--please finish your edges before photographing your entries--don't be sloppy and lazy like me!) Your poem may be original (written by you), child-verse (written by your child, grandchild, nephew/niece, etc.), or quoted (all or part of a published poem you really like). If you choose to embroider a published poem (not written by you), your embroideread should include the poet's name. When submitting your photograph, please indicate the category into which your entry falls (in the title or description). Your hoop may be embellished with images if you like, but please make the poem/text the focus of the project.
How to Submit: Join the flicker group I've set up for this contest, and post your bestest, clearest photo of your submission. Voila! (Note that by submitting, you're giving me your permission to use your photo on this blog and to generally brag about how cool you are.)
Deadline: All entries must be posted to the flickr pool no later than midnight on September 1, 2010--that gives you slowpokes over a month to write (or choose) and stitch!
Prizes: While I'd like to wait and determine how the prizes will be distributed, so I can see how many entries of each kind we receive, there will be three prizes, and I will either award a prize in each poem category (original, child-verse, and quoted), or I'll award three prizes for overall awesomeness. Assisting me in this endeavor will be the lovely, crazy-talented Corinne from September House / So September. She's a far better embroiderer than me, so let's call her the "stitch-type judge" and I'll be the "words-type judge." Each winner will receive the following bunch of loot:

1. a 10" wooden embroidery hoop
2. a 7" wooden embroidery hoop
3. a 1/2-yard cut of gorgeous natural linen (perfect for embroidery/applique projects)
4. ten colors of dmc floss
5. a lined, 5.25"X8.25" Moleskine cahier notebook (for embellishing and/or writing poems in)
6. a Sakura Pigma Micron Pen
7. a roll of lovely washi tape from Happy Tape
8. a package of six assorted Little Pink House note cards with white envelopes
9. a Little Pink House beaded, wool felt flower brooch

I estimate the total value of each bunch of goodies at about $50.

Though actual submission takes place on the flickr pool, let me know with a comment on this post if you think you're going to participate. I can't wait to see who's in! And let me know, also in the comments, if you have any questions. This is my first time hosting something like this, and I know it's entirely possible I'm leaving out crucial details. Meanwhile, have fun dreaming up your hoop!

48 comments:

Lily Boot said...

oooh yes, I've been looking forward to the contest rules and can't wait to get started! Just have to think about the poem :-) lily from www.blockaday.com

Alejandra Alcantara said...

I'm thrilled! I'll dive into poetry and embroidery to create an embroidereading for the contest!

Sharon said...

Do song lyrics count as poetry?

Melissa Crowe said...

Sharon--in this case, absolutely!

cbryan said...

I'm new to embroidery, and this contest sounds like so much fun :) Now to think of a poem....

Darcy said...

FINALLY a use for my creative writing AND art degrees (yes, plural, qualifying me for super-nerd status) combined! Can't miss this great opportunity!

Poorvi said...

I'm in I'm in! :)

Jessica said...

me me me!

One question...may I enter twice (if I have time)? I have one published poem I know I'd like to do, but might get crazy and try writing my own as well.

Such cool prizes, too!

Melissa Crowe said...

Jessica--sure! Why not?!

Misha said...

I'm in and very excited to get started!

Marika said...

yea! so excited to get started!

曹韻婷 said...

Necessity is the mother of invention..................................................................

Amanda said...

Eeeeekk! Yes Melissa! Count me in! What fun! Thank you for coming up with such a great idea! Lots of love, Amanda xxx

Danielle said...

Count me in!!

Corinne said...

What a fun contest this will be!! Just joined the flickr group :)

kate said...

Yes, please! I need to get my crafting/sewing mojo back; this is a great, fun motivator!

Elissa said...

i'm in. in. like. flippin. flynn.

you made that pot too sweet for me to not take the plunge and make the time.

now the question is.... my words or not?

Melissa Crowe said...

E.--my answer? Yes! ;-)

Holly said...

Count me in! I can't even wait to get started! Thanks for the fun excuse to get some embroidery time in :)

Patricia said...

Ooohhh, exciting! I'd love to enter the contest. Must the embroidereading be done in a hoop?

Melissa Crowe said...

Hi, Patricia--I would like to keep all the entries uniform in this small way, the hoop. Somehow it seems to make it easier in my mind to compare them. Hope that makes sense.

Eunhwa said...

Hello Melissa! Although I am not very good with embroidery, especially letters,I'd love to participate for the sake of a poem!

Poppy said...

I love your embroidereads. Stitching words is one of my favorite things. Hoping my kids will help me out with this one.

Patricia said...

Melissa, I woke up around three this morning saying to myself, "Of course it has to be in a hoop." Yesterday I had been thinking of a quote from Laura Ingalls Wilder that I had started embroidering earlier this year for which I already have the frame. Thanks for the inspiration to finish that one, so I can start something new for your contest!

Melissa Crowe said...

Patricia--sounds like a good plan! And I love L.I.W.--I'd love to see that one when it's finished.

danipoppins said...

I'm considering it...

Joanie Hoffman said...

with nervous fingers typing this...I'm in.
happy days,
joanie

Sage said...

Count me in! :)

Whosies said...

ok. i think i am in. i have an idea of the quote already even...oooo how fun is this!

Kelli said...

I would like to! Already have a poem picked out!

huckleberrystew said...

I plan on participating if the baby in my belly doesn't cause any major surprises!

Holly said...

I hope to participate, and am looking forward to seeing everyone else's creations.

施以王雅玲音 said...

愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。......................................................................

Tracy said...

Hi, I'd so love to have a go at this but I'm an international person. Does that matter?

Melissa Crowe said...

No problem, Tracy! Go for it!

The Hudson-Vadnais' said...

I'm in!

Meredith said...

Me too! I wanna do it too!

Melissa Crowe said...

Hooray, hooray! All of your exclamation marks are making me so happy! :-)

Jolie said...

Hooray - I'm in! Exciting stuff...now I just need to make some decisions.....something kiwi? Sentimental? silly?hmmm...

piccola samurai said...

This is the perfect way to dust off my studies in English Literature and choose some of my favourite poetry... I can't wait to start stitching!

c'est Moi! Heather from whimsy dot blog said...

(deep breath) ok i'll give it a go! a question: would you prefer a wooden hoop to frame the finished item or just any embroidery hoop? cheers!

Arctic Needle said...

The competition looks a bit stiff but my friend Jen wrote the words and I'm doing the embroidery - so I guess that means I'm in.

Melissa Crowe said...

Fantastic--I can't wait to see the results of this collaboration!

Sarah said...

Melissa, I just found your blog (through some other blog--but I can't remember which!) and I just want to say thank you so much for this idea. I'm someone who used to write poetry--I miss it so much but I'm not sure how to get back in touch with it. Somehow this embroidery thing seems like it might be a path. I put a couple projects based on some old poems of mine in hoops over the weekend, and hope to have something to share by the end of the month.

Melissa Crowe said...

Awesome, Sarah! I'm so glad you found me.

Natalie said...

Yay! Hi! I found your site and contest (through so september), kinda late in the game but I am good under pressure:) I will have my entry in soon for sure. Thanks for putting this on and I look forward to seeing what everybody dreams up.

Melissa Crowe said...

Hooray! Welcome Natalie!

Song said...

Oh! It's so late, but I'm entering anyway. Um, if I have time, can I enter more than once?

*wibble*

Song