Saturday, December 15, 2012

Bless the Beasts and Children

 I've been cooking up a bit of a menagerie the past few days. It started with an aardvark--for baby Mason. (Remember the bitty twins for whom I made the safari hoops? These are for their first Christmas!)
 And then came a hippo for Victoria. I love her purple, serene face--the hippo's, not Victoria's. I'm sure little Miss Victoria hasn't been purple-faced since those first frustrating moments after she emerged. :-)
 I gave them both jaunty little cold-weather scarves to make them holidayish.
 And then I tried 'em out on our tree. Mark likes them. He says if they must go, I'll have to make some for our someday-grandchildren. I say let's not rush things.
Merry Christmas, Victoria and Mason. Merry Christmas aardvarks and hippos. Merry Christmas, and may this big, sometimes-hard world be as sweet and soft and safe as possible for all us beasts and children in the days to come.

11 comments:

lewmew said...

Love these ! Are there patterns for them???

Melissa Crowe said...

No... I should make some, but where will I find the time?! Ugh. :-)

Donna said...

Those are awesome!

KC Quilter said...

I'm hoping you will someday publish a book of all your adorable felts. Just LOVE them!!!

Melissa Crowe said...

Thanks, ladies. And I hope so, too, KC! :-)

Nichole said...

Gasp! Too cute. How fast can you make them, and how much do they cost? (This is Nichole from co-op, who should probably just email you about it but is leaving something here instead.)

Melissa Crowe said...

Hi, Nichole--they don't take a super long time, but I have three portraits that must go in the mail prior to Christmas. If you still want some, though, I'd be glad to do them as soon as I can. They're $15.

Nichole said...

We leave for Indiana on Friday morning, and I was specifically trying to find something for my husband's cousin who just had a baby. I'll keep looking for them, but is there any chance you could make a couple of them before Christmas? I give the kids a new ornament every year, and I haven't gotten them this year's yet. No problem if you aren't able to; I'll get them from you in a few months and sock them away for next year!

Melissa Crowe said...

If you were going to be right in town, I'd say there's a good chance I could get them to you before Christmas, but with shipping to Indiana, I'm not sure... if you want to go the socking-away route, though, I'm up for it!

kate said...

ACK! These are killing me! Soooo cute. Wish I could have you do a horse; my 12yo daughter just got her first ever, MUCH dreamed about horse. Maybe I'll have to try my hand at one...

Melissa Crowe said...

Here's a tip, Kate--search the net for photos of horses in the post you won't, and then print the one you like best, at about the size you'd like your ornament to be. Cut out the horse and use it as a template (and as a guide for drawing on the details you want to embroider).